How to Attack Mold
When discovering mold within your home, it is important to take action immediately. Most people do not realize how hazardous mold can be to your health. Therefore, people tend to put off taking action to get rid of mold upon discovery because they are unaware of the complications of mold. Mold causes a number of respiratory health issues ranging from allergies to bleeding lungs. For this reason it is important to take active steps in removing mold from your home upon discovery.
- Identify the Extent of Mold Damage: Upon finding out there is mold damage within your property it is important to identify the full extent of the damage. Mold can start growing within the corner of a room and spread to cover an entire wall. It is also important to keep in mind that mold often takes root behind walls and in between floor boards, so it is important to check these areas if you have any reason to suspect the problem has spread to these areas of your home. If you are having trouble determining the extent of the mold growth, call a mold specialist to examine your property for you and devise a plan for restoration.
- Safety Equipment: The main reason it is so important to remove mold from the home is because the substance is so hazardous. However, for this reason it is important to keep your health in mind when cleaning up the mess. Make sure to wear gloves and long sleeved clothing to protect your skin from coming into contact with the mold. Direct exposure to mold can cause irritation to the skin resulting in hives and allergic reactions. It is also important to wear goggles to protect your eyes as well as a mask to prevent the material from entering your lungs.
- Scrubbing and Cleaner: After getting the appropriate safety equipment to protect yourself while cleaning, be sure to have the correct cleaning supplies to wipe out mold. Bleach and store bought cleaners are effective in removing mold. In some cases cleaners will actually list what they are meant to be used for and you can look for mold removal on these lists. Along with the cleaner be sure to have a brush and sponges to scratch off mold and sterilize the surface. Make sure to thoroughly clean the entire area, as mold will continue to spread if it isn’t completely removed.
- Dry and Repeat: It is highly recommended to scrub and clean the mold infected area at least twice. In between washes make sure to let the surface dry completely. Often time’s people use fans and dehumidifiers to thoroughly dry the room. The reason it is important to make sure the area dries in between washes is because mold needs moisture to grow. Drying the area completely will help make sure the mold dies completely and prevents it from coming back.
- Preventing Future Mold Outbreaks: After finishing cleaning the area for the second or third time it is important to take steps to prevent future mold outbreaks. The best way to make sure mold doesn’t start to grow is removing any water or moisture from the room. If the area is prone to flooding or leaks take the time to address these problems. In other cases a dehumidifier can be used to remove water from the air. Also, keeping a room dry can be as simple as keeping air circulation within the room by using fans, or keeping windows cracked for ventilation.
Following these steps does take time, but in the end it is important to remove mold from your home for the sake of your safety. If following these steps to get rid of mold becomes too overwhelming or too time consuming it is recommended to call a mold removal company to take care of the problem.Tweet