home

Mold Dangers

What makes mold so dangerous? Many things. Mold can cause health issues that can be devastating. This includes allergic reactions such as runny eyes and nose, and athlete’s foot. Some more serious reactions include difficulty breathing, respiratory infections, bronchitis, and even death. Mold reactions differ from person to person, but the elderly and small children are usually more susceptible to mold problems. That doesn’t mean you’re in the clear. Those who suffer from allergies are often more susceptible to mold problems, too. And, in some cases, those who aren’t may find they are sensitive to mold.

The best way to avoid these allergic reactions to mold is to keep mold out of your living space. This is sometimes easier said than done. Mold exists everywhere in the air and its spores are not visible to the naked eye. Mold spores attach to your clothes, your skin, your pets, etc. are carried into your home without your knowledge. There’s no way to avoid this. There are some steps you can take, though, to keep those mold spores from reproducing and wreaking havoc on your home.

Mold spores thrive in dark, warm, moist areas. They feed on organic materials such as food, paper, cardboard, drywall, carpet, upholstery, clothing, books, and wallpaper. Obviously, these aren’t objects you can get rid of to avoid mold growth. Mold also requires temperatures between about 40*F and 100*F. It’s not feasible to keep your home’s temperature outside of this range. Therefore, the only way you can keep mold out of your home is to keep it dry.

You may be thinking your home is dry, but there are many areas in your home that are consistently damp – or at least damp enough to become prime areas for mold growth. Basements and bathrooms are the most common areas where mold spores find their homes. Basements are notorious for taking on water and bathrooms are where most of the water in the home is used. That said, other areas of the home may be damp for different reasons.

How do you keep these areas dry? The easiest way is through proper ventilation and using dehumidifiers. Ventilation systems should be in place in rooms where water is used – mainly kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms. Promote air circulation and open windows when temperatures outside allow it. Humidity levels in your home should be between 30 and 50 percent tops. A home dehumidifier will help keep these levels where they need to be.

For mold remediation, contact us day or night. Our mold remediation teams are ready to deal with all mold damage – big or small. We’ve got decades of combined experience and use only the latest technology to not only fix your mold problem but to solve the problem that started it, too.

 

 

24/7 Call Now: 1-888-681-1071

FREE ESTIMATES!