Mold is a natural growth of fungus in the environment. We can encounter mold in many places throughout our life time, but go without seeing any effects to our health. We don’t think too much of mold until it starts to grow within our house or business. Then, it becomes a problem. With up to 300 different kinds of mold, there are many ways to put your health at risk.
Newer homes have a higher risk of receiving this unwanted substance. Because of the tighter seal in these homes, it can trap moisture inside the home. This then creates an area that mold will start to form. But in some cases, mold in your home may not affect you as harshly as someone else. The better your immune system, the less likely you are to see any effects of mold. Although, long term exposure can cause serious health risks. Something as simple as touching the mold could make you sick. Identifying mold isn’t as challenging as some may make it seem. Instead of costly tests, you can do a visual/smell test.
There are many health issues affiliated with mold. If someone touches the mold, they could get an allergic reaction and it could also cause the mold to send even more spores into the air. Some side effects could include coughing, sneezing, rashes, itchy/watery eyes, etc. In some cases, people won’t even realize that mold is causing these symptoms, they just assume that it is the allergies from outside sources. If you are elderly, younger, or just have a bad immune system, you are more prone to these health risks.
The United State Toxic Mold Safety and Protection Act was a bill that was introduced in 2003. The goal was to put more research into mold growth and to teach people about mold growth and the dangerous effects it can have. The bill also consisted of standards, grants, and guidelines for mold growth and removal. Insurance coverage and tax credits for inspections were some other things that we also stated in the bill.Tweet